Thursday, April 25, 2013

Weekly Flâneur: Book It

Click to enlarge.

The Main Library of Uptown Charlotte has featured a multitude of literary quotes on its outer columns since 1996. (Though the building itself has been around as long as I can remember. And I remember being kicked out of Main as a small child for being rowdy* with a friend in the late 1980s, so that's at least 20 years. They let me back in. Eventually.) It's a lovely way to enjoy some light outdoor reading on a lunch break from the skyscrapers that dwarf the building, before heading inside to grab a book on hold or wander the stacks.

Since I missed both Weekly Flâneur and Friday QuoteDay last week due to travel, I'd like to think that a photo of a quote can make up for it? What say you, dear friends? All smiles and forgiveness, or will you take your flaneuring needs elsewhere? (Kidding, I know you'll stay here with me forever! BBFFs, best blog friends 4eva!)

Mr. B is fond of Groucho Marx's quote, and so one recent night out on the town I snapped this pic. The first shot I took was without a flash, which ironically made the photo ... too dark to read. All the quotes can be found here.
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend, and inside a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
The bonus side quote reads:
"The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it from you." B.B. King
And hidden behind them both is this quote:
"One of the greatest gifts adults can give – to their offspring and to society – is to read to children." Carl Sagan
Let's all go take a blanket outside to the newly sprung grass and read a book in the sunshine. Don't wake me if I fall asleep. See you there.

*Well, not so much rowdy. More like a champion of justice. Another child stole my friend Katie's purse, containing a prized $2 bill inside, so I tackled him while she punched. We were in full Brownie Troop uniform. The attending librarian who found two girl scouts sitting on a boy's chest and beating him took pity on the thief and hauled us out of the kid's section and straight to the troop leaders, who happened to be our mothers. Sorry, Mom/Scout Leader!

0 comments:

Post a Comment