Friday, January 7, 2011

Katy Perry vs. Lady Gaga

Also known as:

In Which I Return to Blogging for a Very Important Compare and Contrast of Pop Stars and Their Bras.

On Sexuality

Katy Perry:

"Teehee! I kissed a girl, and I liked it! But, not too much. I mean, as long as my boyfriend doesn't mind. It doesn't count as cheating with a woman anyway. It's not like I'm one of those dykey girls. Gross! That's not what good girls do! And I'm a good girl! No, I totally kissed a sexy girl like me! In lingerie! Sexy-sex lingerie! But not on camera. That's icky. People might think I'm gay! I'm not! I totally like boys! Cherry chapstick! Do you like me now?"

Lady Gaga:



On What Their Boobs Say


Katy Perry:

"Your Oedipal fantasy come true! Only better, because my boobs are used to creamy white liquid shooting all over them! Do you like me now?"



Lady Gaga:

"Force me into sex that I do not consent to and I will fucking kill you."

Also, this:





Place in Pop Culture

Katy Perry:

Puppet.

Lady Gaga:

Puppet and puppet master of pop culture.


On Lyrics

Katy Perry:

"Let you put your hands on me/ in my skin-tight jeans/ be your teenage dream tonight" -- Teenage Dream

Written by Max Martin, age 39, composer of such lyrics as "Show me the meaning of being lonely" sung by the Backstreet Boys.
Words written by a near-middle-aged man to reflect what a male views as sexy, therefore influencing and conditioning the legion of tween fans that imitate Perry that the pretty, ideal girl always wants to be accessible to the men around them. While wearing skin-tight jeans.

Lady Gaga:


"Look at him/ look at me/ that boy is bad and honestly/ he's a wolf in disguise/ ...
He licked his lips, said to me, 'Girl you look enough to eat.'/ Put his arms around me./ Said, 'Boy now get your paws right off of me.'" * -- Monster

Written by Stefani Germanotta, also known as Lady Gaga.
Words written by someone who has actually inhabited the body of a girl, and has felt the constant male gaze her entire life, thanks to the idea that all girls are accessible conquests.

* Yes, I am well aware that Gaga got her start writing for Britney Spears and that the next lines Gaga sings in "Monster" are about french kissing the monster-boy in a subway train. Point being, unlike most pop songs, this 3 minute ditty allowed the woman to assert her own choice in pushing the boy away. The monster wins in the end, sadly, despite her protests.

On Being Gay Icons

Katy Perry:

In addition to the problems with "I Kissed A Girl" (exploitation of same-sex kissing, fauxsexuality, exclusion of lesbian and bisexual fans, and the implication that girls who kiss other girls cannot be "good" -- whatever being a "good girl" means) there are these lyrics:

"You’re so gay and you don’t even like boys" -- Ur So Gay

"Gay" is not an insult and should not be used as one. Especially not in a song that opens with: "I hope you hang yourself with your H&M scarf."

Lady Gaga:

Via Wikipedia:
When [Lady Gaga] appeared as a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show in May 2009, she praised DeGeneres for being "an inspiration for women and for the gay community".[131] She proclaimed that the October 11, 2009, National Equality March rally on the national mall was "the single most important event of her career." As she exited, she left with an exultant "Bless God and bless the gays,"[54] similar to her 2009 MTV Video Music Awards acceptance speech for Best New Artist a month earlier.[132] At the rally, she performed a cover of John Lennon's "Imagine" declaring that "I'm not going to [play] one of my songs tonight because tonight is not about me, it's about you." She changed the original lyrics of the song to reflect the death of Matthew Shepard, a college student murdered because of his sexuality.[133] In September 2010, she spoke at a rally in favor of repealing the US military's Don't ask, don't tell policy, which prohibits lesbian, gay and bisexual people from serving openly,[134] and released an online video urging her fans to contact their Senators in an effort to get the policy overturned.

Also, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRNsl_0AZOs

On Influences

Katy Perry:



... Gummi Bears? Maybe? Jesus? Candy Land? Seriously, I don't even know with this one. I suppose her main influence is the desire to be liked.

Lady Gaga:

 DAVID BOWIE.

Lady Gaga FOR THE WIN.

3 comments:

Marissa said...

I love this post! I have thought the same things many times but never got around to writing a post about it. Perfect!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, that last point proved EVERYTHING that needed to be proven. xD

RedBessRead said...

Love it - I agree with everything. Despite all this it has always been Katy Perry that has criticised Lady Gaga and Lady Gaga has never responded even though there is PLENTY she could say. The blasphemy criticism of the Alejandro video makes me laugh, especially after Katy Perry posed topless for Rolling Stone wearing a crucifix.

Post a Comment