Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Capricorn Babies

Goat Riders in the sky? Via Wikipedia.

Happy 2012! Are we sick of New Year's yet? Have you started your resolutions? How's that going for you?

The whole New! Year! Resolutions! thing isn't really something I've ever been good at. Because I'm a Capricorn baby, the turning of the year is a few days prior to my own turning another year older. That's when the resolutions come. I'm turning wouldn't you like to know a whole number older, so I should be wiser and make all the usual promises for health and exercise and not drunkenly embarrassing myself on a weekly basis. Reflecting on life and making changes are a birthday thing that just happens to coincide with a calendar change.

I always wonder what people who are not Capricorns do. Come April or July, do they make new resolutions? 6 month promises? Or, is it in fact an entire new year for them, old resolutions shunned? New Four Month Resolution doesn't have the same ring to it. How does it work?

One thing I do know is that after I passed the age where birthdays were spent in my parents' living room with a sheet cake from Harris Teeter and my classmates in princess dresses, it's kinda boring to have a birthday at the tail end of the holiday season. People are tired. No one wants go out or do any more celebrating. It's fine now, but when I was younger, it was among my very selfish pet peeves that I couldn't muster up a good party for some nighttime natal rambunctiousness.

So! I would like to offer a little advice for all of those with loved ones born December-January.

First, ask yourself these questions: Are they the type of person who even cares to celebrate their birthday? (Some of us just want a cuppa tea and a nap and maybe a massage? Not everyone is a party cat.) Did they do something nice for you last year when you turned 25 for the 6th time? Do you love them?

If yes, then follow these simple rules for Sagittarius and Capricorn Birthdays:

  • Buy birthday wrapping paper. It's on sale, because everyone is snagging Santa prints. There's probably still a roll of balloon paper under the bed from your last birthday wrapping session, so use it. Because it's not cute to receive a b-day gift in Santa paper on January 3rd.

  • Do not, unless under extraordinary circumstances, say the following: "This is your birthday AND Christmas gift!" You do not want to be this person. This person is the same type of friend who turns around in September to ask where their birthday gift is and gets all offended when the Capricorn answering says it's coming in December. You don't want to be that friend. And your Sag-Cap friend does not want to dislike you.

  • Go out for drinks. Yes, it's cold. Yes, you just bought Christmas gifts and New Years tickets and want to save a little money. Yes, you're all serious about your resolution to get more sleep. But when it's your birthday, none of that will matter and you'll want your friends by your side. Tit for tat. Suck it up and get your coat on.

And that's it! Yay! Now go. Fulfill your resolutions of gym time and salads, and then call your Capricorn friend. And maybe your Sagittarius friend and say sorry about the Christmas wrapping? Why not. Happy New Year!


* By the by: Capricorn Babies sounds like a spin-off of Muppet Babies. Kermit and Piggy as cartoon babies with goat horns and mermaid tails? You know you would watch that show.

3 comments:

ellen said...

Love it! Btw. Happy birthday in two weeks!

Unknown said...

I grew up watching Muppet Babies without knowing what Star Wars was, and I totally wrapped my sister's birthday presents in snowflake wrapping paper. (Her's is the 1st of Jan, yeah, one of those Birthdays) I was in wrapping mode.

Love the post!

Natalie said...

@ Ellen: Thanks! Still makes me smile that your hubby and I share the same b-day!

@ Ashley: Jan. 1st?! Yikes! Everyone's hungover and tired, but here's a cake! Snowflakes are pretty though; least it wasn't the Grinch?

Post a Comment