Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Running Rivers, Running Films

Posting may be a little light the next few days here at FitC, as I will be attending the RiverRun International Film Festival in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Our own Unofficial Feminist Film Critic, Matt Brunson, is going to be a judge, so hopefully I will be able to link some of his updates and musings on the fest in this space. I'm not quite certain how my time there will be budgeted, but if I am able to write, I will update the blog with my own work as well. (Though Weekly Flâneur and FridayQuoteDay will publish as usual!)

While there are a ton of films to see, I am the most excited about the documentary Miss Representation.

The description for Miss Representation reads:
Filled with interviews with journalists, scholars and politicians including Katie Couric, Gloria Steinem and Condoleeza Rice, this revealing documentary addresses the harsh reality of the representation of women in modern society. Miss Representation studies the norms forming the message that a woman’s value lies in her youth, beauty and sexuality.


A film about the portrayal of women in the media? Calling out sexist bullshit? Questioning gendered norms and the male gaze? Margaret Cho? YES. The trailer is heartbreaking and wonderful all at once. I can't wait to see this and hopefully engage with some of the other attendants on the topic.

If any of my readers are planning on attending RiverRun this week, particularly this screening, come say hello! I'll be the tall girl in the audience, most likely chugging a caffeinated beverage. No pink hair, despite my picture. If the venue happens to be full of Amazonian women, just whisper something like, "David Bowie is the Chuck Norris of hipsters." That's a surefire way to get my attention.

(Also on the agenda? An '80s Prom Party. Can't decide if it's awesome or sad that wearing my normal clothes will allow me to attend in costume. Leggings. Off the shoulder dress. Leg warmers. Bangles. All I need is to rock a side ponytail with poofy bangs and I'm set.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment