Thursday, May 27, 2010

Flâneur in London: Nature Edition, Part Two

My darlings, you know how I usually wax poetic or make witty little comments when I post my flâneuring pictures on this here blog? And you know how I usually alter the pictures to make them shiny and artsy and manage to hide my face since I'm still not 100% down with the whole put-your-face-on-the-Internet-for-all-the-world-to-see thing? Well, today, my dears, we're posting as is. Flâneuring without make-up, if you will. Because a recent jaunt to Richmond Park was so lovely, no amount of camera lomo-ish altering could shine-up these wild city pics.

Walking Richmond Park in order to experience it – with no purpose, no agenda – the flâneur is off the streets and in the wild. Well, kinda wild.


Council Houses and deer share space on a beautiful Spring afternoon.
(Click on any pic to make it bigger.) 


According to Wikipedia:
Richmond Park is a 955 hectares (9.55 km2; 3.69 sq mi) urban park within London. Almost three times as large as New York City's Central Park, it is Britain's largest urban walled park, and the largest of the Royal Parks in London. It is close to Richmond, Ham, Kingston upon Thames, Wimbledon, Roehampton and East Sheen. The park is famous for its red and fallow deer, which number over six hundred.
 (Apparently, one of the deer possesses a large, Sharpie-esque penis. It's like "Where's Waldo" for perverts.)

Deer!
Deer!
 Deer! 
Totally wild deer! Without fences!

Seriously.
Just: Oh, hi deer. What's up? 

London deer are unfazed by camera-wielding, squealing American girls, and by cars. 

Considering most of the deer I have ever seen have been in zoos or on restaurant walls,  the sight of so many freakin' deer free and fine among the two-legs made my little hippie heart swell. I love my hometown, but my fellow Southerns aren't too keen on having live deer around. London gives me hope in so many ways.

Also seen in Richmond Park: 
Oh, Canada geese. 

Must you melt my heart so, you wee fuzzy things?

Being mooned by a swan. Not all the Brits are polite!

The swan could care less.

Wee omnivorous Coots.

And finally, a fine horse, being ridden English-style.
Mr. Darcy should be riding by at any moment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment